Posted February 04, 2021
Back Forty Beer Company, established in 2009, is Alabama’s largest craft brewery and one of the leading and fastest-growing craft breweries in the nation. The company manufactures and markets a variety of premium craft beers, as well as craft beer vinegar. Their product portfolio includes six beers brewed throughout the year in addition to a wide range of seasonal beer. Products are currently sold to both retail and foodservice clients in six different states and in international markets including Canada and China. Products are offered in various packaging options including bottles, cans, and kegs. The brewery also operates an on premise pub which serves food for lunch and dinner.
The company initially began production using the facilities of another small brewery in Mississippi. However, after two years and the introduction of two successful beers, one of which won a Silver Medal at the Great American Beer Festival, the owners were able to purchase a 27,000 square foot warehouse in Gadsden, and secured an SBA loan which they used to purchase equipment.
Back Forty brewed its first production run in its new home in Gadsden in 2012. Over the last five years under the leadership and tenacity of owner Jason Wilson, the company has experienced triple-digit growth and has garnered a number of prestigious awards and recognition in the industry, including:
- Alabama Manufacturer of the Year – 2014
- Jason Wilson named “Alabama Young Entrepreneur of the Year” – 2015
- Runner Up Southern Living Food Awards – 2015
- Top One hundred S. businesses – U.S. Chamber of Commerce Blue Ribbon Award (2015)
- World Beer Packaging Competition Winner – 2014
- 5000 Fastest Growing Companies List – 2015
- Business Council of Alabama’s “ Small Business Game Changer Award’ – 2016